Wednesday, October 07, 2009

No, its not a bomb.











Now this is recycling! I made my own XT disc brake bleed kit and it works great. It only took about 10 minutes per brake to bleed. Shimano makes some nice brakes, the downfall is that they use mineral oil. And I found out last winter that this stuff freezes and blows out your seals when its really cold out. I talked to Shimano and they have no solution other than moving to a warmer climate, which is a pretty good idea I must admit. I will be looking for some Hayes brakes to put on before winter starts, which seems to be pretty soon.
One more race is on my list at the Mohican State Forest this Sunday. This place stays dry better than anything else I've seen in Ohio. A 24 mile loop with some good climbing will give me some good painful memories to think about in January. That's when I'll be riding icy roads and thinking about another installment of Captain James T. Kirk's log entry.

5 Comments:

At Wednesday, 07 October, 2009, Anonymous mathys said...

wang mineral oil freezing temp. is -22 deg. f . how freakin' cold does it have to be before you ride inside?

 
At Thursday, 08 October, 2009, Blogger Experthasbeen said...

Well I don't know how they do it, but it was only 20F they day mine froze. Shimano has had numerous problems using the mineral oil from what I have read.

 
At Friday, 09 October, 2009, Anonymous mathys said...

maybe switch to mechanical for the cold

 
At Friday, 09 October, 2009, Blogger RonSmedley said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At Friday, 09 October, 2009, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ride it rigid..turn the knob off.

http://aaron-at-aakt.blogspot.com/2009/10/light-up-night.html

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

ages/clustrmaps-back-soon.jpg'; document.getElementByIdLocations of visitors to this page
www.coolcounters.net