Monday, May 24, 2010

It's still a Groovy Series.

Groovy Series #2 at Vultures Knob.



Ohio reared its ugly head the days and hours leading up to the race. Several inches of recent rains had the course pasty and slick, as if the Knob isn't tough enough when its dry. I knew this would be a suffer fest once I did a prologue lap to warm up and check the air pressure in my tires. I had just put on some Kenda Nevegals and they got a good breaking in.
Bob Grimm had a new helmet cam and wanted some race footage so I had the GoPro mounted to my helmet, and it was set to take a photo every 30 seconds.
I like to get a fast start to gain time on Lorson during the first lap. Unfortunately there was a sweet pile up right in front of me about 50 yards into the race. I don't think I've seen this in an off road race in almost 15 years.
Anyway I was on Lorson's wheel for the first lap and the legs seemed to feel fine. The helmet cam had come loose so I handed it off to Bob a half lap into the race. The bike was running smooth and the Nevegals were really biting well. Tracton was never a problem despite the mud. The problem came when Lorson jacked up his back wheel, fixed it, then came raging by me.
There was no lifting of the pace for me. The pasty mud seemed to eat away at my speed like a nasty headwind does on the road. This was a day for strong riders to excel, and that's exactly what happened. I ended up 4th and still have the lead in the series so it's not all a loss.


























































I received my official Groovy frame with a sweet paint job.































On another note, the Knob now has working showers and a bike wash which sure came in handy this time. Unfortunately there was a creepy guy hanging around the entrance wearing only a towel, and holding a high pressure long hose. Not sure what he wanted but I didn't want to find out either. I think he must have gotten lost while he was looking for Spangler park.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

ages/clustrmaps-back-soon.jpg'; document.getElementByIdLocations of visitors to this page
www.coolcounters.net