Monday, February 08, 2010

What's Holding You Back?


No, this isn't a seat belt usage campaign. I've been thinking recently about human cycling performance, mine in particular. When I first started riding I knew nothing about VO2 max, heart rates, watts, or other measurements of performance. It was in the mid nineties when a lot of information about performance came to the forefront for me. Prior to this knowledge I just figured that anyone faster than me obviously trained harder and longer than I did.

Of course now I know exactly what my VO2 max is, and what heart rate zones I should be training in. My genetic makeup puts me at a Category 3 lifer according to Chris Carmichael. These are things I can't change and must accept as my physical performance limiters. There is however a big arena for improvement in the area of attitude and that I am the only one holding myself back here.

Since it was -3F this morning I begrudgingly got on the trainer with the intent of riding for an hour. At some point during that time it occurred to me that no one can do the work for me and that I'm done making excuses for myself. 3 1/2 hours later I got off the trainer, still feeling pretty good.
The time is now, and if you don't do it for yourself, it won't ever get done. What's your excuse?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

ages/clustrmaps-back-soon.jpg'; document.getElementByIdLocations of visitors to this page
www.coolcounters.net