Sunday, September 14, 2008

559, 650B, or 700


Yes, Wes, you hit it right on the head. I am a classic retro-crouch. I have spent my cycling years shunning new technologies and complaining about "planned obsolecence"(Yeah Shimano, that means you). Hell, I didn't even have a non-steel bike until 3 years ago, And I have only recently embraced the idea of suspension forks.
I was the little punk bike shop employee who used to complain to bike reps about their new fangled crap they would bring in every year and tell them it sucked. Of course when I told the Schwinn rep that U-brakes were a stupid idea back in 1988 I did have a point.
I actually don't hate 29rs. Heck, I have never even ridden one for more than a a mile or two. I can see they have a real purpose in todays market. Everyone has a good fit option now and I believe the 26 fits me great. They even have benefitted me becuase as more people buy 29, the more people dump their 26 stuff cheap. If the 650B ever really takes off I could see myself on that size someday. If mtbs started off as 650B like some wanted 25 years ago instead of 26 the whole market would have been better off. I don't think the cycling industry can support three wheel sizes for very long. It took those morons two decades just to settle on 1 1/8 headsets as standard.
As you know, I like to stir up shit from time to time and this just seemed like an easy way to do it. Besides, somebody has to stick up for the 26 inch crowd so it might as well be me. And yes, my 26 mtb still weighs more than your 29 Wes so please don't take offense to my tongue in cheek comments. It's all in good fun. As you may have noticed, I don't edit others comments on my blog so feel free to post as much hate mail as you like. I truly enjoy the dialogue.

Stayed tuned for next weeks commentary on single speeds and my 2009 Tour de France predictions.....Ha ha, smile, that's a joke.

4 Comments:

At Monday, 15 September, 2008, Blogger cappy said...

im not offended i really dont care what anybody thinks about my bikes , its all about the ride not what you are riding.you are dead on about bike fit have heard if your inseam isnt 29 inchs or more then 29er wont fit that person. i also think riding style has something to do with it try to ride a 29er at rays mtb park. the same can be said for full suspension and rigid bikes.

 
At Monday, 15 September, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think 29'ers suck, too! I just don't see how it would work for someone who is only 160 cm in height. Give me a 26 incher any day. Maybe, 650 wheels would solve the problem providing a larger wheel base for smaller riders. However, my FOX fork (an upgrade from the Marzocchi) has improve my riding. As Wes said, it is the engine that powers the bike, but in a 30 mile race (like the experts did at Manatoc), comfort and technology can subtract minutes from your time.

-Fenster

 
At Tuesday, 16 September, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

so far all comments are from SHORT PEOPLE!!! i still have a 26er i can't afford anything else!!!SCHWINNMOAB4EVER!!!

 
At Thursday, 18 September, 2008, Blogger Magnusknopftonn said...

You people rant like a rodies.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

ages/clustrmaps-back-soon.jpg'; document.getElementByIdLocations of visitors to this page
www.coolcounters.net