Tuesday, June 15, 2010

The mud is your freind

More good times were had at Vultures Knob #3. It was a smaller turnout likely due to the recent rains that just won't go away. I'm sure anyone who raced at Mohican the previous week had seen enough mud to last them a lifetime.
I have been swearing at the weatherman for weeks now but had finally made peace with the mud just a day before the race. Since I was the only over 35 expert they lumped me in with the young guys. And to my delight it was a sprint to the rock tunnel since they did away with the prologue lap. YEEESSSSS! I actually enjoy it when the first 200 meters are like a bmx race that narrows into a bottle neck. That's how racing should be.
I took off hard, and tried to stay with the top guys as long as I could but faded back to a sustainable pace after half a lap. I sure felt better this race compared to the last one. I guess the intervals have been paying off. The trail was pasty like last time so the overall times were slow again. By the third lap the course been whipped into a cake like batter in some areas.
I was on the new Groovy and didn't have any mechanicals despite the conditions. The Kenda Nevegals front and rear turned out to be the right choice again, and I never went down once. In fact I was able to drift a lot of turns without losing control.
I ended up 4th overall and still got my vet/expert points for the series. All in all not a bad day.
The real fun was watching the bikes of days gone by race down and up the fire road. Mike Colona gets the sweetest bike award, but Feeman sure had the best outfit.














0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

ages/clustrmaps-back-soon.jpg'; document.getElementByIdLocations of visitors to this page
www.coolcounters.net