Tuesday, August 07, 2012

Double race update.... A week after Raystown it was time for the Findlay TT. I was really looking forward to this race since I had a good result there last year. Unfortunately my legs had other plans. When I hit the woods I just felt like a dying battery. The legs turned over but there was zero speed coming out. I ended up 2nd to Ross(BIG SHOCKER), which I could have been pleased with if my riding was good. But the way I felt even if I won it would have been an unsatisfying ride. Maybe I fried myself too much at Raystown? Well there's really no 'maybe' to it at all. I went easy for the next week and tried some new singletrack at Royalview. Nice course overall but my desire to pedal was not there...more rest needed. Another easy week and my legs started to come around a bit, just in time for the Roaster at Chestnut Ridge. Aptly name, it was freaking hot! I had never been on this course and didn't bother any preride due to the oppressive heat. We started off with the younger experts and despite my intentions to start slow I got the hole-shot off the line. (perhaps bmx would have suited me better). Anyways that didn't last long as I was quickly gobbled up by most of the pack. The first lap I felt good and was first in my age group coming around to start lap two. It didn't take long for the heat to turn my stomach into a cesspool of undigested water and gu. I got that bloated feeling that only comes from racing in the heat and the pace quickly withered away. It was so bad that I actually wondered if I would be able to finish the third lap at all. The eventual winner, Jeff Rupnow(never met him before), had dispatched me with ease somewhere on a climb. I could hear the third place guy stalking me from behind like some National Geographic film where the little gazelle gets eaten on camera by a large cat. My gels finally made their way to my bloodstream and a surge of carbs came to the rescue none too soon. I actually was able to increase my pace to hold him off for another 2nd place. If nothing else in life I am consistent. The race took me 2:13 to complete while the likes of Dave Walker was well under 2 hours. Speaking of the heat....My wife Andrea had a bit of a melt down during her race and had a good conversation with one of the park rangers that went something like this: Andrea:"I was so hot I was going to jump in that lake out there!" Park ranger:"There is no lake in this park." That pretty much sums up her race.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

ages/clustrmaps-back-soon.jpg'; document.getElementByIdLocations of visitors to this page
www.coolcounters.net