Monday, May 02, 2011

We've Got Big Bells!

Me, Soup, and John shaking our bells like only 40+ year olds can do!(Thanks to Magnus for the pilfered photo)The bells were awarded for the 2010 Groovy Series overall standings.











The 2011 season kicked off in fine fashion at Vultures Knob last weekend. So fine in fact that it was one of only 3 dry days the entire month of April that I recalled. We have been getting pummeled with rain records that were set back in the 1800's. The Knob however was mostly dry with a few puddles and pasty areas. (amazing!)

So I line up next to four Soupcan guys, thinking I'm about to get worked over like an MS 13 gang initiation. I took the hole shot and managed to promptly crash in the first mile on a slick turn. I hit the deck and curled into a ball, Tim Mould showed amazing skills by not running over my neck, thank you!
No biggie I thought, just get back up and hammer. I entered the cradle 2nd and dropped my chain the first time, for what would turn out to be an ongoing problem the rest of the race. (note to self...buy new chain and rings every spring moron). I have always prided myself on almost never having mechanical issues during a race, but I dropped the ball big time this day.

Then while climbing up the first real climb my bars hit a tree and stopped me dead in my tracks, and I held up Soup in a very bad area for a singlespeed, sorry dude.
Soup soonafter passed me and quickly had 30-40 seconds gap in no time at all. But as fate would have it he flatted on the 2nd lap and his day was pretty much done. (Yes, I feel your pain).

I ended up third, 2 1/2 minutes off the winners pace. This would not have upset me if a local rider had won. But the first and second place guys were not from the area. (Tim Mould and Tom Franek).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

ages/clustrmaps-back-soon.jpg'; document.getElementByIdLocations of visitors to this page
www.coolcounters.net